Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 6 Continued or I Seriously Love Being Tortured in L.A. Traffic, so Let's Make This Happen!

I still hate L.A. traffic. Buut, we finished with both museums although, I don't know if you can really say we finished. The boys could've stayed for days on end just examining every square inch of that massive building.
We drove a little further into L.A. and visited the La Brea Tar Pits. Basically, long ago, L.A. was a collection of tar pits that collected leaves, dust, and water. It also collected the bones of deceased animals which preserved them. Let's get this straight, there were NO dinosaurs found at the pits (Caden laughs every time we say, "Tar pits") because it was long after their time. What they have found are woolly mammoth remains, dire wolf remains, as well as a few other prehistoric mammals.
It smells like burned leg hair (I assume only because I've never actually smelled burned leg hair. But if I had smelled burned leg hair, it would smell like the tar pits probably...most likely.)





With this activity, you have to try to pull the pipe out of tar (yeah, real tar) for the sole purpose of seeing how tough it might have been for animals who got stuck in the tar pits, thus causing them to meet their demise.



Yes, these are real paleontologists (polentologist, Joey?) and they're working on 23 huge crates of remains they found in 2006 when they wanted to build a parking garage for the museum.





I'm guessing they got tired of verbally answering the FAQs people had.





So we were busy. Really busy because we decided to drive up to the Griffith Observatory (which is directly across from the Hollywood sign) and have a look around. Again with the parking and traffic... We ended up hiking up the mountain for a good mile and a half or so (all uphill) because parking was nonexistent. The observatory itself is righteous, but the view is the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae of excellence here. Breathtaking view of L.A. and the mountains.




And then, we decided to outsmart the traffic during rush hour so we took a drive down Mulholland. Scary, is what it is. It's fun, but scary. Anyway, we stopped for dinner and B said he had a surprise for me. We drive for a few blocks from our dining place and what do I see before me...

The freakin' Brady Bunch HOUSE! For real! The for really real one!! Zomg. Yep, we are THOSE people.


No comments:

Post a Comment