Thursday, August 1, 2013

California or How We Probably Could Have Just Moved Here Because it Would Have Totally Been Cheaper

And here we are. Brian and I decided we were going to do something big this summer for the boys and for us to celebrate my graduation. I fell in love with San Diego 12 years ago when we spent a week here on our honeymoon and couldn't wait to share it with the boys. The weather is beautiful, the people (for the most part) are friendly and easy-going. There is no rush to do anything here. We also wanted to take the boys on a tour of SoCal because there are things we hadn't even seen.
Day one: Getting here was a beast and a half. First of all, we ended up changing planes in San Antonio due to mechanical issue with the first plane. Changing planes bothers me because that's how luggage gets lost and it's a pain in the backside. Plus, the 2nd plane we were put on, was super crowded unlike the first. Nevertheless, we got here and with the 72 degree air, I forgave Southwest.
 We decided to explore the area and ended up on Coronado Island. We drove around and let the boys take in the smell and sights of the Pacific. It's gorgeous here. The weather is 70 degrees on average and it's so consistent, every restaurant has patio dining. We walked down to Seaport Village for dinner that night and window shopped. I found the cutest bakery and we bought Nutella macarons, a cotton candy cupcake for Cade, and a milk and cookies cupcake for E. Brian geeked out over the Reagan aircraft carrier. We noticed that everyone here just coexists with one another. That, and they walk everywhere which I LOVE. We ended up coming back to the hotel and letting the boys swim off the excess energy they kept to themselves during travel time. By the by, if you're going to travel with children, as much of a beating it is to get up early, I highly recommend taking an early flight.





I'm making the boys keep travel journals. I bought them composition books, a glue stick, and a roll of scotch tape each. They take any pictures, mementos, maps, etc. from wherever they've been and put them in their books. They will write about it either as they go or as they remember the activity/destination. Yeah, yeah, I know. But when your mom is a teacher, that's the breaks, kids.




I'll do Day 2 tomorrow possibly. This time zone thing is gong to KILL me when we get back to Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment