Monday, May 17, 2010

Ham's Orchard





I won't even pretend that we eat organic. I just won't. I don't think there's anything wrong with people who do, but we aren't going to simply buy because it says, "Organic" on it. After much research, we have come to the conclusion that organic these days doesn't necessarily mean it's organic all the time. Whatever. What we've also decided is that we enjoy buying locally grown produce etc. There's something about it that is beyond description. Mostly, I do it because I remember going and harvesting vegetables from my grandpa's garden. I want our boys to know how fruits and vegetables grow and how much care and effort goes into making sure we have good quality produce to enjoy. And, yes, I want to support our local farmers. I found out about Ham's Orchard through a friend last year. The big crowd-drawer is the homemade peach and homemade strawberry ice cream. There were tons of things to buy and all of it was grown right there and harvested right there, as well.We shopped around a little. Ham's is well-known for their peach harvests but, sadly, we were a week too early. The boys got some ice cream and we browsed around. They were amazed at how much these people were growing. We plan on returning in a few weeks to pick some blackberries. Another one of my "To Do for the Boys" items. I think they need to experience a little bit of what harvesting looks like.
At the same time, it will be my first ever attempt at making homemade peach pies and homemade blackberry cobbler. Hmm...good thing we have friends who work for the fire department.
Alas, Ham's Orchard is definitely on our list of places to go once a month to stock up. The boys don't seem to mind going because, well, the ice cream is worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment