We took a road trip out west (Texas) to visit Brian's grandmother in Kermit. Ok, I get it, you can insert some random Muppet joke here if you wish. Really, it's a small town (stress small) outside of Midland/Odessa. You are going to think I'm nuts but I LOVE IT out there!! Everyone is laid back, polite, and the land is beautiful. The drawback is the heat! ZOMG! It was, 112 degrees at one point during our visit. Haha! I love when people tell me, "But, it's a dry heat!" Uh, who cares. Hot is hot is hot IS HOT! The first day there, we took the boys out to the State Park in Monahans to surf on the sand dunes. You get these huge frisbee looking things, take them to the top of the dunes' peaks, and let it ride!! Pretty cool. I just wish there had been a beach somewhere on the other side.
Day two brought a whole 'nother adventure. We drove to Balmorhea State Park (I really need to develop a passport-y type thing people can get stamped when they visit state parks. We've apparently been to quite a few just in the last year.) It was gorgeous. We swam in the fresh spring with fish. We didn't stay very long because it was stinkin' cold. The water is always at a "natural" 72 degrees. Now, that may not seem cold to anyone else but I kid-you-not I could feel hypothermia setting in...or my guts were getting pissed off at me. Either way, it was enjoyable and we definitely want to go back soon. And, because we left earlier than we anticipated, we decided to drive to Marfa (We assumed there would be alien artifacts or some cool stuff to see, but NOPE!) and that was a waste of time. GIANT waste of time. On the plus side, the drive through the Davis Mountains was GORGEOUS. Loved it. It was really sad to see how much destruction the wildfires left in their wake.
Marfa had little to offer so on our way back to Kermit, we decided to stop at the McDonald Observatory. Nerd Paradise. It was a little over my head but Brian and Ethan were enthralled. We got super lucky and ended up getting to take the last tour of the day (they only do 2 a day). That stuff is amazing to look at and even more amazing to know that it can see things we can only begin to imagine.
All in all, it was a quick trip but I'm glad we went. I forgot that Caden had never met his great-grandmother and Ethan hasn't seen her since he was 2!! I honestly wanted to bring her home with us. It was sad to have to leave her.
No comments:
Post a Comment