Friday, November 19, 2010

And the Oscar goes to...

Ethan was the owl in his first grade Thanksgiving play. Brian and I couldn't be prouder of him. He memorized all of his lines and didn't freak out in front of the crowd of parents in the least.The costume? Yeah, I made it. I am the least crafty person I know. And friends, I freaked out the second I got his part with the attached note that said he needed to provide his own costume. My kid WOULD be given the part with a costume that would happen to be the most difficult to find. I looked on Etsy ($98 for a handmade PURPLE one- ew.), I looked on eBay (Harry Potter owl costumes or the Tootsie Roll owl, or a mascot owl costume for $2k--um triple no.), and had no luck whatsoever. I finally gave in and went into Jo-Ann Fabric and $45 later, I emerged and started on my 3 day quest. Here is the final product:


I had a vision, did some research, and came up with this costume. I'm pretty danged proud of it. If you think it sucks, humor me. Don't look at the imperfections, please. Just know that this was one of those "stepping outside of my comfort zone" things and I did it. I did it and survived it. And, I think mah boy looks pretty smashing.
He performed wonderfully, the costume held up, and Super Turkey got away. I totally love me some him. And, I know it sounds smarmy and all that but---I still cannot believe that this intelligent, wonderful, big-hearted, polite, and talented little boy is actually mine. He and his brother truly are our gifts.




Ethan and his class got to decorate their cupcake Super Turkeys after their program. Did I mention I LOVE being a co-room mom?




Check it out: Ethan and his crew. That girl hugging him? Yeah, that's his "girlfriend" and yeah, she's super smart and super sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment