Saturday, May 26, 2012

I can hardly wait to see you come of age, but I guess we'll both just have to be patient...

Ethan is officially a 3rd grader.
You know, I had difficulty arranging someone to take over my class so I could attend Ethan's awards ceremony. I thought that would be the hardest part of the whole ceremony. I mean, I obviously cannot leave 26 fifth graders alone for an hour. That was the easy part in actuality. I had a really great friend of mine, Roberta, who offered to take over for me. If she hadn't stepped in, I was totally prepared to take the day off, for what it's worth.
My point is, that was the easy part. The hard part was watching my not-so-little-boy go from being recognized as a second grader for Excellence in Art, A Honor Roll, and Citizenship, to this big kid shaking the principal's hand and gliding from one stage of his life right into the next right before my eyes. I had to blink to bring myself back to reality. (and also, plus, too, I had to blink back tears).
I'm not the type of mom who boo-hoos at every little change in my children's lives. I get that they're supposed to do these things. In fact, I'm keeping little tic marks in my Book o' Success as a Parent. Every time they begin a new stage, I think, "Oh okay. Good. They're still breathing."
But this? This was different. I teach fifth graders, taught fourth grade, and even third grade for a year. He's getting into the territory of the age group I've been teaching for almost 10 years now. Astounds me if I think too much about it.
Brian and I couldn't be prouder of the person he is becoming. Ethan is kind and compassionate. He adores working with students with special needs and will give the world if you asked him to do so. But, more than that- he's intuitive, intelligent, and polite.
I want to give all thanks and glory to God- who put this wonderful little creature into our lives. Blessed doesn't even begin to cover it. It's more than that. He chose Brian and me to guide and love this beautiful boy and his little brother. Thank you, God.



(You'll have to excuse my hair etc. I had just come in from taking my students outside. ACK!)





No comments:

Post a Comment