Monday, April 12, 2010

Life with a 6 years old boy






T-ball. There's nothing like it in the world. A group of 6 years-old boys (and yes, even girls) are taught the rules and procedures of baseball. It's like watching someone attempt to herd cats. In all honesty, it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen. You have the kids in the outfield who are busy building sandcastles and creating masterpieces with their feet and not paying even the slightest attention to what is going on. You have the kids who are up at bat. These huge helmets that they are trying to manage to balance while remaining upright and making an attempt to hit a ball off of a tee. The coaches stand in certain places reminding the kids to either a) pick up the ball while reminding them where to throw it b) telling the kids where to run next or c) attempting to make sure that the kids are paying attention to the rules of the game. I never ever thought I'd be the mom who loves this kind of thing. I was never into sports and I certainly didn't ever dream I'd have a boy who would. It's literally one of my favorite things to do on Saturday. I watch Ethan put his uniform on and his size 13 cleats when I'm reminded of how I used to change this kid's onesie at least three times a day at one point. I'm not sad about it, per se. I just see it as another one of those gold stars on that infamous parenting chart. I got him past the onesies, diapers, bottles, and baby stage. He's now an intellectual, empathetic, loving, amazing big brother, and definitely our pride and joy. I, in essence, feel as if we've been practicing this parenting thing much like the t-ball team. We have our parents who, like the coaches, are pointing us in the right direction and reminding us what to do next. We have our friends who are cheering us on and supporting us. And yes, like the 6 years old players, we sometimes get caught drawing in the dirt with our feet. Mostly though, we've taken successful swings and had some misses too. We, as working parents, are trying to manage to balance while remaining upright and making an attempt to raise these amazing little beings. I can't wait to see where this Mom-of-boys thing takes me. It's all new undiscovered territory to me and I am in love with every. single. minute.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are doing an awesome job being parents, both of your boys are wonderful, sweet little guys ... i love this parenting journey too even on the hard days (read parenting a teen lol)

    ReplyDelete